Pectoralis Major Repair
Surgery for Pec Major Tears:
- Your surgeon will discuss the risks, benefits, rehabilitation and recovery time with you before the surgery.
- You should not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the procedure.
- The surgery is often day-case surgery, but you may stay overnight one night.
- A doctor/physiotherapist will see you prior to discharge and you will be taught exercises to do and given further advice to guide you through your recovery.
- Your arm will remain in a shoulder sling for at least 3 weeks. For more details on Living with a Shoulder Sling Click Here
- The length of time that you will be off work will depend on your job but expect a minimum of 6 weeks if work involves heavy duties.
- Physiotherapy will be organised for when you leave hospital and may well continue for some months after the surgery.
- You will be guided through the rehabilitation programme by your physiotherapist. It is of the utmost importance that you stick strictly to this programme. Click here for the Post-operative rehabilitation protocol
In the procedure the tendon and muscle are reattached to the bone of the humerus with suture anchors (or a similar device)
We published our technique and results in 2009 (click here). Below is our surgical technique.
Below are the clinical results at 6 months post-op. Patient returned to full weight training.