Prof. Lennard Funk’s Education Portal

Call: 01625 545071
Email: [email protected]
For treatment enquires visit The Arm Clinic

Oxford Shoulder Scores

The Oxford Shoulder Questionnaire relies on the patient’s subjective assessment of pain and ADL impairment to provide the assessment.

The Oxford Shoulder Questionnaire has been shown to correlate well with both the Constant Score and the SF36 assessment and to be sensitive to surgical intervention.

The Oxford Shoulder Questionnaire accumulates to a total score with a maximum valueof  60, in which four pain related questions make up 33% of this total whilst the remaining 67% is derived from eight ADL related questions.

Previously the highest scores are attributed to the worst outcomes in the Oxford Shoulder Questionnaire, so that an adjustment is necessary to compare the results with the more conventional worse-is-lower methods. However, in approximately 2009 this was inverted so that a higher score now correlates with a better outcome. THerefore, the reader needs to be aware of this when reading medical research studies that have used the Oxford Scoring system.


Please note the Oxford Scores can only be used with a valid licence from ISIS - To apply for a licence (which may require a subscription fee) Please go to their website here.



References:


  1.  Dawson J, Fitzpatrick R, Carr A. Questionnaire on the perceptions of patients about shoulder surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996 Jul;78(4):593-600. 
  2. Dawson J, Hill G, Fitzpatrick R, Carr A. The benefits of using patient-based methods of assessment. Medium-term results of an observational study of shoulder surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001 Aug;83(6):877-82.
  3. Dawson J, Fitzpatrick R, Carr A. The assessment of shoulder instability. The development and validation of a questionnaire. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999 May;81(3):420-6.

Search ShoulderDoc.co.uk

Find a Shoulder Professional

+ Add Your Clinic Advanced Search

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

ShoulderDoc.co.uk satisfies the INTUTE criteria for quality and has been awarded 'editor's choice'.

The material on this website is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between ourselves and our patients. Full Disclaimer