Reverse Shoulder Replacement (Delta3)
- Severe Cuff arthropathy
- Salvage procedure for failed Hemiarthroplasties in elderly
- Mastersling with body belt fitted in theatre
- Finger, wrist and elbow movements
Level 1 Exercises
- Body belt removed
- Handing gripping exercise
- Pendular exercises
- Passive flexion, abduction, internal and external rotation
- Scapular setting and posture correction
- Discharge when safe, usually 3 days post-op
- Keep sling for 6 weeks
- May perform ADL below shoulder level, , such as eating & writing
Level 2 exercises
- Active assisted flexion, abduction, internal and external rotation in supine and progress to sitting position as soon as the patient is able.
- Progress to active when possible
- Begin isometric strengthening of all muscle groups
Progress to levels 3 exercises
- Encourage active movement into all ranges with some gentle self-stretching at the end of range.
- Progress isotonic strengthening though range
- Regularly stretch the joint to the end of its available range
Continue to strengthen for 6-months.
Improvement continues for 18 months to 2 years and the patients should continue exercising until their maximum potential has been reached.
Return to functional activities
Driving After 6 weeks
Swimming Breaststroke: 6 weeks
Freestyle: 12 weeks
Golf 3 Months
Lifting Light lifting can begin at 6 weeks. Avoid lifting heavy items for 6 months.
Return to work Sedentary job: 6 weeks
Manual job: Guided by Surgeon